Fru-Gal Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fru-Gal Friends

Site for frugal minds to share and learn together and for becoming friends

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

December 2013 Cheap Thrills

Go down 
4 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Vicki
Administrator
Administrator
Vicki

Female
Number of posts : 1640
Registration date : 2006-10-12

December 2013 Cheap Thrills - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: December 2013 Cheap Thrills   December 2013 Cheap Thrills - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 25 Dec 2013, 11:28 am

Me neither Donna! George got me a 8 tray food dehydrator and a gun cleaning kit for a Christmas..lil Darin got me a shower gel and lotion set and bailey got me candle holders that spell out Noel.
Back to top Go down
http://vickisvault.blogspot.com
Donna
Very Valuable Member
Very Valuable Member
Donna

Female
Number of posts : 354
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: December 2013 Cheap Thrills   December 2013 Cheap Thrills - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 26 Dec 2013, 12:45 pm

My husband received a Outback gift cert. also!LOL,,Odd we speak of it and it happens!LOL
Back to top Go down
Vicki
Administrator
Administrator
Vicki

Female

PostSubject: Re: December 2013 Cheap Thrills   December 2013 Cheap Thrills - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 26 Dec 2013, 9:17 pm

Too funny! Today George bought me jerky seasoning and a meat grinder!
Back to top Go down
skinflint
skinflint

Female
Number of posts : 877
Registration date : 2006-10-13

PostSubject: Re: December 2013 Cheap Thrills   December 2013 Cheap Thrills - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 26 Dec 2013, 11:23 pm

Don't you just love useful, thoughtful gifts? Smile

I'm glad you used the giftbox idea Sissy, I did not use any wrapping paper whatsoever this year! I still had a stash of giftbags that I could use for friend's gifts. Our neighbours gave us a large giftbox with edible goodies inside made up to look like an open hamper and we had raided it before Christmas Eve and I think DH was so relieved because he was going to wrap a few small gifts for me and then spotted the giftbox from the neighbours and hid them inside that instead. LOL So we will use that every year now, below the tree, also Smile

After work today I bought half a dozen nice giftbags on half-price sale and some sticky gift-tags also on half-price clearance. I got both in the colours I use of silver and/or red. I avoided the Boxing Day sales on Thursday because of the usual crowds plus I didn't need anything anyway. I did though purchase online a new quality sheet pack for the spare bedroom which we'll be giving a makeover for family arriving from overseas mid-year. I got those on half-price special, they start the Boxing Day sales earlier online and I chose 'click & collect' option so I can pick them up in my nominated store when I receive notification they've arrived. The sheets tend to get snapped up very quickly instore during the sales so I avoided that disappointment Wink
Back to top Go down
Vicki
Administrator
Administrator
Vicki

Female

PostSubject: Re: December 2013 Cheap Thrills   December 2013 Cheap Thrills - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 27 Dec 2013, 9:48 am

I love buying gift wrap and bags after the holidays, however in haven't had to in many years due to ones I had purchased before at a really good deal, plus all the ones the lady I work for gave me and of course reusing what I get.

Great score on the sheets skin! I need to keep a lookout for new ones for baileys bed.
Back to top Go down
skinflint
skinflint

Female

PostSubject: Re: December 2013 Cheap Thrills   December 2013 Cheap Thrills - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 28 Dec 2013, 2:07 am

I had stacks of new giftbags that I received through a lady on Freecycle a few years ago but I shared them with my neighbour and a friend so have gradually worked my way through them...just a few left now. I definitely do NOT need wrapping paper. I went on an errand with DH yesterday afternoon, after I'd finished work, and picked up a few extra packs of Christmas cards on clearance. I didn't particularly need them but they'll come in handy if I join any Christmas card lists next year.

An older customer who shops in our store regularly brought me in a gift on Friday, he'd been in the store on Christmas Eve but couldn't find me so came back in. Every year he and his wife make and bring gifts in for some of the ladies at work. Last year we received little jars of homemade jam, this year it was teatowels with crocheted hanging tabs. Very sweet, he even let me choose which one I wanted from those he'd brought with him Smile
Back to top Go down
Vicki
Administrator
Administrator
Vicki

Female

PostSubject: Re: December 2013 Cheap Thrills   December 2013 Cheap Thrills - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 28 Dec 2013, 8:59 am

I buy my Christmas cards at the year end sales also. I need to get more for next year. That is so sweet of your customer Skin!

We got free firewood today. My stepdad called and said the electric company cleaned the hill up by our church and asked George if he wanted to come get it...so he is there now collecting a free truckload of firewood!
Back to top Go down
skinflint
skinflint

Female

PostSubject: Re: December 2013 Cheap Thrills   December 2013 Cheap Thrills - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 28 Dec 2013, 10:21 pm

That's awesome on the firewood Vicki and sure will come in handy over your winter.
Back to top Go down
Donna
Very Valuable Member
Very Valuable Member
Donna

Female
Number of posts : 354
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: December 2013 Cheap Thrills   December 2013 Cheap Thrills - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 29 Dec 2013, 3:59 pm

Free wood = free heat!
Thats awesome!
Back to top Go down
Vicki
Administrator
Administrator
Vicki

Female

PostSubject: Re: December 2013 Cheap Thrills   December 2013 Cheap Thrills - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 29 Dec 2013, 7:30 pm

George bought me a meat grinder and seasoning mixes for jerky
Back to top Go down
skinflint
skinflint

Female

PostSubject: Re: December 2013 Cheap Thrills   December 2013 Cheap Thrills - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 29 Dec 2013, 11:39 pm

I don't know if this really classifies as a cheap thrill but because we bought a new fridge/freezer before Christmas we obviously still have our old one still sitting at home. DH bought spray paint for a cosmetic touch up on the front doors and we were going to sell it after tidying it up as it's still working perfectly. Well...it just occurred to me today that I might instead prefer to donate it to a woman's shelter in our city. For obvious reasons there are no individual shelter addresses or contact details online so I've spoken to someone at their main admin office in the city and left my name and phone number and hope to hear back from them soon. Now I just need to let DH know what I've been up to...lol. I know he won't mind so I hope one of the shelters might have need of a working fridge/freezer Smile
Back to top Go down
Sissy
Very Valuable Member
Very Valuable Member
Sissy

Number of posts : 770
Registration date : 2006-10-21

PostSubject: Re: December 2013 Cheap Thrills   December 2013 Cheap Thrills - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 30 Dec 2013, 9:52 am

You ladies sure scored some great deals. That's a really nice gesture, ,Skin, in donating the fridge. I hope someone calls you.

No deals for me. I haven't been out. Plus I got walloped with a head cold yesterday and lake effect snow is coming in. So, trying to get better so I can shovel.
Back to top Go down
Vicki
Administrator
Administrator
Vicki

Female

PostSubject: Re: December 2013 Cheap Thrills   December 2013 Cheap Thrills - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 30 Dec 2013, 11:09 am

What a great idea Skin! I hope someone contacts you.

Sissy, hope you get to feeling better soon! I just heard we have some snow coming our way later in the week.
Back to top Go down
skinflint
skinflint

Female

PostSubject: Re: December 2013 Cheap Thrills   December 2013 Cheap Thrills - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 02 Jan 2014, 4:55 am

Sissy I hope you're feeling a little better by now. That snow sure gives you ladies some extra work!

I still haven't had a call back about the fridge yet so I'll give it a little more time, if I don't hear from then within the next two weeks we'll probably go ahead and sell it on.
Back to top Go down
Sissy
Very Valuable Member
Very Valuable Member
Sissy

Number of posts : 770
Registration date : 2006-10-21

PostSubject: Re: December 2013 Cheap Thrills   December 2013 Cheap Thrills - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 02 Jan 2014, 10:09 am

Thanks, Skin and Vicki.  I'm feeling a bit better today, but still not where I wanted to be.  

I almost forgot this thrill.  DH ordered two pizzas to take to his mother's house on Christmas Eve.  We took her to church with us and then went back to her house to eat the pizza.  When we went to pick the pizzas up, DH came out carrying 3 pizzas.  It seems that the one pizza came out too brown so the employees made another pizza and gave it to DH for free.  That's why we go to that pizzeria.  They know how to service their customers.
Back to top Go down
Vicki
Administrator
Administrator
Vicki

Female

PostSubject: Re: December 2013 Cheap Thrills   December 2013 Cheap Thrills - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 02 Jan 2014, 12:34 pm

That was so nice of them Sissy!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: December 2013 Cheap Thrills   December 2013 Cheap Thrills - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

December 2013 Cheap Thrills
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2